We have been funded by the ‘Angling Trust’ Home – Angling Trust to deliver a fishing programme, we deliver this programme at Get Hooked on Fishing Facility in Northolt, Middlesex.
Fishing is now the UK’s biggest participation sport and the sixth biggest sport overall, behind armchair sports such as football and rugby. However, Boys from lower income backgrounds in particular are at higher risk of disengagement. Working with ‘Get Fishing’ we introduce young people from lower income households to the benefits of Fishing as a meaningful and rewarding programme as we emerge from the impact of the pandemic. Angling programmes are particularly effective at providing solutions for re-engaging this cohort by raising self-esteem, efficacy and aspirations alongside assisting them to meet basic levels of attainment. The key aims and outcomes of our programme are to;
• Improve personal development and functional capacity
• Improve ability to work as a team
• Reduce loneliness & isolation
• Improve work skills (Volunteering/work experience)
• Increased personal development and lifestyle through sports engagement”
• Increased participation in sports and leisure activities
• Keeping participants motivated and engaged
• Increase education attainment through progression through the recognised CAST Awards.
• Raise aspirations and progression into fishing related activities be it employment or further training
• Improve wellbeing and social integration in society.